iAmTRI

Hey all wondering if I could get some thoughts on a few questions. I'm following fitzgeralds essentials book.

1) My first half will April 21. The next week is a scheduled rest week. I'm feeling good. Should I skip the rest week and move on/continue training?

2) What do you all do when training by time on a trainer? I been trying to come up different intervals but still get bored to death. Mixing up crossfit endurance wods. Are there any good books with specific interval workouts?

3)What do you do with empty water bottles during the race? Do the aid stations refill them for you or just give a bottle of water? Will it be gu liquid or perform? My current plan is to use perpetum and gels on the bike but trying to figure out the best way to transport them. 

4) Trail running question. If the plan says to run for x amount of time. Is there any problem with doing some long runs on trails? Cant run as far but can still get the time in. 

Thanks for suggestions

Views: 740

Replies to This Discussion

Russell...IMHO...1)I would take,if not a rest week ,a easy week of swimming/biking/run...almost what you did in your taper week before the 1/2.

2)I've used the "sufferfest" videos...great music,tour de france,spain,etc..footage....very great stuff for intervals..google  sufferfest and check it out.

3)drop the empties about 100+ yards from the aid stations...and then grab and restock...dump empties FAR AWAY from road so we all don't run em over.

4)trails are great...run for time on trails...

I'm 53...doing IMLP...1st IM was Sunapee in 1989...!...this July will be my 6th IM distance...good luck 

Swim training in Open Water: Has anyone tried wearing compression socks under a wetsuit during open water swims? I wonder if you could wear compression socks under the wetsuit and then leave them on for the rest of a race. I like the idea of compression socks on the bike and run but think it would take me too long to put them on i transition. I also get cramps in the swim sometimes and thought the socks might help, ideas?

Tom, I have never worn compression socks during a swim....but last year when I volunteered at Ironman Louisville I bought a pair of 2XU compression sleeves. The lady that sold them to me said you could swim in them. They are a different kind of material than my CEF compression socks. Just make sure that the ones you have/buy you can swim in. Hope that helps a little.

I bought a pair of those at the Boston expo.  However, I wasn't looking for any compression advantage, I was merely looking for another layer to keep me warm...  I'm such a freeze baby!

i wonder if they'd be allowed. in a non-wetsuit swim, you not supposed have any garment below the knee. (ie , speed suits must be no lower than knee length)

What are the swimwear restrictions?
Swimwear must be 100% textile material, which is defined as materials consisting of natural and/or synthetic, individual and non-consolidated yarns used to constitute a fabric by weaving, knitting and/or braiding. Simply put, this would generally refer to suits made only from nylon or Lycra that do not have any rubberized material such as polyurethane or neoprene. Swimwear must not cover the neck, extend past the shoulder, nor extend past the knees. Swimwear may contain a zipper. A race kit may be worn underneath swimwear

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but wanted to get some feedback from people who are either currently using the Matt Fitzgerald plans or have used them in the past. This is my first IM and I have started with the level 3 plan in Fitzgerald's book. My goal is just to finish and not visit the medical tent :). I know plans sometimes start slow and I'm trying to be patient with it (since it's only week 2), but the hours seem low (only 7.5-8hrs the first week) and I'm starting to worry that I should be doing more at this point.  I didn't choose one of the higher level plans to start because I have a history of running-related injuries so I'm trying to start off conservative. Just wanted to get some input from others....I know it's an individual thing and based on a lot of different factors, but is it best to just trust the plan (I know the hours will increase) or start moving up in levels?

I am no expert but starting slow will build a base and avoid injuries later, consistency is probably more important at this point to build a routine than logging long training hours.

hey I'm doing the Fitzgerald plan 7-10. I picked it since I can run an hour with ease and be ready for something more challenging. On days that I feel well I will go hard and pick a higher level. Days I have to work or feel like crap I will go with the lower level. What level do you think you should start easily with?

So my rest week went like this foundation ride good. Road run fine. Next ride = 2 flats  before the start and to the bike shop for a tune up. I did several trail runs and felt great. Realized i needed to replace my running shoes since my feet and joints hurt. Can't wait to restart hard training.  

ps. thank for all the suggestions. anyone doing the setup charleston half or the rock and roll one in macon?

I am also doing crossfit endurance, but I have a hard time understanding where to start

I am doing crossfit (actually called High Intesity Interval Training) also.  It is taking me away from the traditional hours in the pool or on the road.  I hope it pays off for me.  I have an Olympic Distance Tri in May so I guess I will find out then.

Do you feel like it is preparing you well for the full IM?

RSS

© 2014   Created by iAmTri.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service